Learn about the Harvest Moon, September’s Full Moon. Learn about the history, alternative names, correspondences, and how to utilize its energy in your magickal workings.
What is the Harvest Moon?
Old English/Anglo-Saxon in origin, the Harvest Moon is the full moon that falls closest to the Autumn Equinox, or Mabon (Also known as the Second Harvest Festival). This means that the this moon typically takes place during the month of September each year. On the rare occasion that the moon closest to the Equinox takes place in October, then the September full moon is typically referred to as the Corn Moon.
Either the last full moon of Summer, or the first full moon of Autumn/Fall this moon embraces the themes of change, harvest, and preparation as we get closer and closer to the oncoming darkness of Winter.
Other Names for the Full Moon in September
- Corn Moon – Ojibwe
- Barley Moon – Old English
- Nut Moon – Cherokee
- Singing Moon – Celtic
- Mulberry Moon – Choctaw
- Leaves Turning Moon – Ojibwe
- Moose Moon – Ojibwe
- Gourd Moon – Catawba
- Fall Moon – Inupiat
- Falling Leaf Moon – Mahican
- Someone Harvests Moon – Oneida
- Little Sister of the Hot Moon – Tunica
- Moon When the Calves Grow Hair – Dakotah Sioux
- Chrysanthemum Moon – Chinese
Harvest Moon Magickal Workings
Either the last full moon of Summer, or the first full moon of Autumn/Fall this moon embraces the themes of moving towards the darker months and preparation for Winter. As this moon also takes place near Mabon, similar themes can be found between these two.
- Kitchen Magick
- Hearth Magick
- House Protections
Harvest Moon Correspondences
Colors: Brown, Green, Orange, Amber, Red
Crystals: Citrine, Peridot, Bloodstone, Chrysolite, Amber, Quartz, Aventurine, Tiger’s Eye, Ruby, Gold
Deities: Demeter, Brigid, Freyja, Vesta
Herbs: Witch Hazel, Flax, Wheat, Apple, Valerian, Skullcap
Trees: Bay, Larch, Hawthorn, Apple
Harvest Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- What in my life is currently ready for harvest?
- What do I need to cultivate more of in my life?
- What do I need to store away for the coming Winter?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Shadow Work Prompts for the Harvest Moon
- What are your feelings towards fall, and harvest season in general? Good & exciting? Or sad & loathsome? Why do you feel this way about this time of year?
- Are you looking forward to colder times ahead? Why or why not? Are there any particular reasons why you have these feelings?
- What are five things you are grateful for right now? What is one thing you can do this week to honor each of those things?
More on Moons
Want to learn more about working with the energies of the Moon?
Read all of our moon posts here!
- Sturgeon Moon – August’s Full Moon
- Thunder Moon – July’s Full Moon
- Flower Moon – May’s Full Moon
- Pink Moon – April’s Full Moon
Pin it for Later
Did you know I use Canva to make all the graphics I use here on my website? Click here to try it out for yourself!