Learn about the Hunter’s Moon, October’s Full Moon. Learn about the history, alternative names, correspondences, and how to utilize its energy in your magickal workings.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you! Thank you in advance for helping to support Feralwood Farm.
What is the Hunter’s Moon?
The name Hunter’s Moon could have derived from the term “Hunting Moon” which was the term used by both the Mahican and Tunica peoples; this name is applied to whichever moon falls after the Harvest Moon, sometimes in October, and sometimes in November. The significance of the Hunter’s moon is that this time of the year signalled the end of the harvest season, and the beginning of relying on hunting to bring in fresh food until the next Spring.
Other Names for the Hunter’s Moon
- Falling Leaves Moon – Ojibwe
- Someone Stores Food Moon – Oneida
- Kindly Moon – Chinese
- Harvest Moon – Celtic, Cherokee
- Blood Moon – Old English
- Blackberry Moon – Choctaw
- Moon when Quilling and Beading is Done – Dakotah Sioux
Hunter’s Moon Magickal Workings
This moon is usually the closest to the Sabbat Samhain, and therefore shares many of the same magickal connections & correspondences. Harvest season is ending or has ended, the Wheel is turning into the darkness of Winter and our days grow short as our nights grow long. The veil is thin, so communicating with other worldly beings is easier during this time.
- Shadow Work
- Self Reflection
- Ancestor Work
- Working with Sprits
- Psychic Messages
- Diety Work (particularly with Psychopomps, or ferriers/guides of the dead)
Hunter’s Moon Correspondences
Colors: Red, Purple, Black, Orange, Silver, Dark Blue, Gold
Crystals: Amethyst, Beryl, Black Touramline, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Moonstone, Obsidian, Opal, Quartz, Turquoise
Deities: Apollo, Anubis, Azrael, Cernunnos, Charon, Hades, Hecate, Hel, Hermes, Herne, Mercury, Shiva
Herbs: Calendula, Marigold, Angelica, Burdock, Pennyroyal, Thyme, Catnip
Trees: Apple, Yew
Hunter Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- What do I need to do to prepare for the darker days ahead?
- What messages am I missing from the spirits who guide me?
- How can I best make use of my time in the colder months?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Shadow Work Prompts for the Hunter’s Moon
- What are your thoughts toward spirits and guides? Do you believe in them? Do you think they have an effect on your day to day life? Why or why not?
- What are your feelings towards the darker half of the year? Are there any steps or precautions you need to take to get prepared for the darker time of the year?
- How do you feel about the concept of death? Do you see it as an end, a beginning, or a cycle? Why? What beliefs or experiences have led you to have these thoughts?
More on Moons
Want to learn more about working with the energies of the Moon?
Read all of our moon posts here!
- Harvest Moon – September’s Full Moon
- Sturgeon Moon – August’s Full Moon
- Thunder Moon – July’s Full Moon
- Flower Moon – May’s Full Moon
- Pink Moon – April’s Full Moon
Pin it for Later
Did you know I use Canva to make all the graphics I use here on my website? Click here to try it out for yourself!