Learn about the Flower Moon, May’s full moon. Learn about the history, names, correspondences, and how to use its energy in your magickal workings.
What is the Flower Moon?
The Flower Moon is one of many names for the full moon that takes place during the month of May each year. The names come from various different cultures stretching across the globe and often represents themes of nature during that time of year. The name Flower Moon comes from the Algonquin peoples, and references the abundance of floral blooms during this lunar period.
Other Names for the May Full Moon
- Hare Moon – Medieval European
- Budding Moon – Cree
- Egg Laying Moon – Cree
- Frog Moon – Cree
- Milk Moon – Old English, Anglo-Saxon
- Planting Moon – Dakota, Lakota, Cherokee
- Panther Moon – Choctaw
- Corn Planting Moon – Native American
- Mother’s Moon – Celtic
- Bright Moon – Celtic
- Dragon Moon – Chinese
- Moon of the Shedding Ponies – Oglala
- Idle Moon – Siouan
- Goose Moon – Inuit
Flower Moon Magickal Workings
This moon kicks off the Summer season, and therefore its seasonal energy is that of abundance, growth, and beginning to reap the harvest of what you’ve been working towards. We also kicked off the month with Beltane, and those themes of love, lust, and fertility continue throughout this lunar period into Litha season! It’s also a wonderful time to work with the energies of fire as we get closer to the Summer Solstice and the days grow longer and warmer.
- Breaking Down Barriers/Obstacles
Flower Moon Magickal Correspondences
Colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Pink
Crystals: Ruby, Garnet, Amber, Apache Tear, Malachite, Unakite, Rhodonite
Deities: Kali, Priapus, Cernunnos, Flora, Maia, Bast, Venus, Aphrodite, Diana, Artemis, Pan
Herbs: Cinnamon, Mint, Rose, Mugwort, Thyme, Yarrow, Magnolia
Trees: Hawthorn, Rowan, Apple
Shadow Work Prompts for the Flower Moon
- What are your feelings at this moment towards your current goals? Motivated, disheartened? Why do you feel this way?
- How are you tending to yourself and your needs & goals to best achieve them? If you aren’t, what is holding you back from doing so?
- How can you best set yourself up for success in this moment? What is one step you can take today towards your goals?
Flower Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- How can I better tend to the seeds & ideas I have planted?
- How can I achieve & sustain successful growth?
- How can I prepare to receive this abundance?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Pin It For Later
Did you know I use Canva to make all the graphics I use here on my website? Click here to try it out for yourself!