Learn how to craft a simple spell satchet to help you have restful sleep, and vivid dreams that are easy to remember.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you! Thank you in advance for helping to support Feralwood Farm.
The Basics of Sleep Magic
This spell utilizes a couple spell techniques in order to activate, and in the future, upkeep the sleep satchet. These are my preferred techniques in spellcrafting however you are of course welcome to apply these ideas, ingredients, and correspondences in your own way to create your ideal magickal working!
These techniques are: petition writing, correspondence magick/law of attraction, sigil magick, and candle magick. I find that using these techniques helps me to focus my intention, and activate the spell for better results. This is also how I “refresh/upkeep” the spell to ensure it stays active (but we’ll save that for later!).
There are a few different ideals you can focus on for sleep magick, they are as follows:
- Ease of falling asleep
- Restful sleep
- Lucid dreams
- Vivid dreams
- Dream remembrance
- Sleep protection
- Protection from nightmares
Why a Sleep Satchet?
I chose a satchet as the container for this spell mostly because I wanted to be able to smell the herbs that are used for calming, relaxation, and assisting you to fall asleep. Also, since this spell will most likely be placed under a pillow, mattress, or bed, it’s important to choose a container that won’t accidentally be broken or shattered.
Ingredients that Benefit Sleep
There are many different ingredients that correspond with sleep and dreams, below is a few options with their applicable correspondences. Feel free to choose as many or as little as you see fit! None of required for success and these are just tools to help you focus your intention of the spell.
- Satchet (these are the ones I use) or cloth to make a bag (blue preferred)
- Paper for a petition
- Pen or pencil (again blue if you want to use color correspondences)
- Blue or white candle
- Cleansing item of choice (could be incense, a smoke bundle, a bell, florida water, etc)
- Agate – induces dreams
- Amethyst – relaxing, calming, vivid dreams, prevents insomnia, protection from nightmares, dream divination
- Blue Calcite – induces dreams
- Calcite – induces dreams
- Dream Quartz – vivid dreams, dream divination, protection from nightmares
- Emerald – dreamwork, protection from nightmares
- Flourite – sleep protection, protection from nightmares, deep sleep
- Malachite – protection from nightmares, recalling dreams, induces sleep
- Moonstone – induces dreams, lucid dreaming, deep sleep, prevents insomnia
- Smoky Quartz – induces dreams, protection from nightmares
- Anise – protection from nightmares
- Bay – dreamwork, dream divination, sleep protection
- Chamomile – induces sleep, calming
- Clary Sage – vivid dreams
- Garlic – protection from nightares, sleep protection, induces sleep
- Lavender – calming, relaxing, induces sleep
- Lemon Balm – relieve anxiety, calming, deep sleep, protection from nightmares
- Marigold – dream divination, sleep protection
- Mugwort – induces dreams, dream divination, lucid dreaming
- Passionflower – relieve anxiety, sleep inducement
- Poppy – induces sleep, vivid dreams
- Rosemary – protection from nightmares, sleep protection
- Valerian – induces sleep, lucid dreaming, recalling dreams
Crafting the Sleep Satchet
As with any spell, feel free to change things as you see fit! Everyone’s practice is different, this is just how I went about creating my sleep satchet. If you decide to take different steps for whatever reason, let me know in the comments!
- Cleanse all your ingredients with your choice of cleansing item (I prefer smoke cleansing)
- Create a petition focused on your goal for the satchet, you could make multiple petitions if you wish, but combining your desires into one focused petition seems to work the best for myself. If you don’t know how to write a petition, The Witch of Wonderlust on Youtube has this great video. I would recommend using phrasing along the lines of “I fall asleep easily and have restful sleep every night” or “My dreams are vivid and I always remember them”
- Optionally: Create a sigil using the same phrase you used in your petition. Draw this on the outside of your folded petition paper, as well as carve it into your candle. You can carve your candle with other symbols of sleep, from the moon or stars, to simple zzzzz’s.
- Dress your candle using an oil or charged water or your choice.
- Now is the time to charge your chosen herbs and crystals with the correspondences you would like them to radiate in your satchel (I like to hold the items, and verbally tell them what I would like them to do).
- Take some of the herbs and roll your dressed candle in them.
- Now is the time to light your candle (make sure you are taking fire safely into account). Drip some of the wax onto your petition to seal in your intentions.
- As the candle burns. Add the rest of your charged items into the satchel (if you chose to include a bayleaf, write your intention on the leaf as well, i.e “restful sleep”), iIncluding the petition after the wax has dried. During this time, try to meditate on your goals of the spell. What does restful sleep mean to you? What kind of dreams do you hope to have? How do you see your life improving with a greater ease of falling asleep?
- Once the candle has burned down, your spell is complete! It’s time to place your satchet somewhere in your bedroom where it will be most effective! I originally started with beneath my pillow, however some of the herbs broke down and created a bit of a mess! If using a satchet that is mesh, I would recommend placing it under your bed, maybe hanging it from a spring of your mattress, or hang it on your wall near your bed. If you have a bag without mess you should be safe to place it under your pillow or under your mattress.
Upkeeping your Spell
As with most spells, this sachet will eventually fade over time. If you’d like this satchet to continue to work into the future, it will need a little refreshment on occassion!
To reup my spell sachet, about once a month I will repeat the candle portion of the spell. While the candle is burning, i’ll hold onto the satchet and re-infuse it with my intention. If you feel the spell needs a bigger boost, consider re-doing and replacing the petition as well as repeating the candle magick.
If you want to entirely redo the spell, cleanse all the items and toss or burn the used herbs and petition. The cleansed crystals and bag may be reused after being cleansed. Simply repeat the original spell with fresh herbs and a new petition!
Optional Additions to your Sleep Satchet
The possibilities are endless and you are truely only limited by your creativity! Feel free to add whatever you’d like to improve your working, below I’ve included a couple bonus ideas if you really want to go the extra mile or feel like you might need the extra oomf in your spell!
- Dress your candle in a charged oil specifically for sleep or dreamwork
- Dress your candle in full or new moon water charged for sleep or dreamwork
- Create a small protection bottle or charm specifically for sleep to include in your satchet