Learn about the Sturgeon Moon, August’s Full Moon. Learn about the history, alternative names, correspondences, and how to utilize its energy in your magickal workings.
What is the Sturgeon Moon?
The Sturgeon Moon is the full moon that takes place during August each year. The name Sturgeon Moon is Algonquin in origin and is because of the abundance of sturgeon fish in the Great Lakes during this time of year. However after overfishing, the numbers of lake sturgeons have been reduced drastically in recent years. To learn more about the lake sturgeon, click here!
Other Names for the Full Moon in August
- Flying Up Moon – Cree
- Corn Moon – Algonquin, Ojibwe
- Blackberry Moon – Ojibwe
- Harvest Moon – Dakota
- Ricing Moon – Anishinaabe
- Black Cherries Moon – Anishinaabe
- Mountain Shadows Moon – Tlingit
- Salmon Moon – Haida
- Dry Moon – Catawba
- End of Fruit Moon – Cherokee
- Summer Moon – Comanche
- Big Harvest Moon – Creek
- Moon of Joyful – Hopi
- End of Summer Moon – Kalapuya
- Moon of the Ripening – Lakota
- Feather Shedding Moon – Passamaquoddy
- Corn is in Silk Moon – Ponca
- Moon of the Middle – Potawatomi
- Plum Moon – Shawnee
- Hot Moon – Shoshone
Sturgeon Moon Magickal Workings
In August, harvest season is in full swing! Everyone is reaping the rewards of what they have sown so many months ago. Hard work is beginning to come to fruition and long-term manifestations are beginning to solidify. Since food is often found in abundance during this time, it’s a great opportunity to incorporate more kitchen magick (particularly with home or local grown items!) into your craft. Below are some other themes that are particularly potent during this full moon.
- Kitchen Witchery
Sturgeon Moon Correspondences
Colors: Yellow, Orange, Red, Gold, Dark Green
Crystals: Tiger’s Eye, Carnelian, Garnet, Red Agate, Sardonyx, Peridot, Cat’s Eye
Deities: Vulcan, Mars, Nemesis, Hecate, Hathor Thor
Herbs: Rosemary, Basil, Rue, Chamomile, Poppies, Sunflowers
Trees: Cedar, Hazel
Sturgeon Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- What abundance am I currently neglecting?
- What skills should I be focusing on during this time?
- What loose ends still require my attention?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Shadow Work Prompts for the Sturgeon Moon
- What is your process with long-term goals or projects? Do you enjoy them, or loathe them? Do you find yourself forgetting them before they come to pass, or micromanaging them too much? Why do you think you do this/feel this way about long-term projects and goals?
- What’s one skill you’ve always wanted to learn? Why haven’t you yet? What is holding you back from trying?
More on Moons
Want to learn more about working with the energies of the Moon?
Read all of our moon posts here!
- Harvest Moon – September’s Full Moon
- Hunter’s Moon – October’s Full Moon
- Beaver Moon – November’s Full Moon
Pin it for Later
Did you know I use Canva to make all the graphics I use here on my website? Click here to try it out for yourself!