Learn about the Beaver Moon, November’s Full Moon. Learn about the history, alternative names, correspondences, and how to utilize its energy in your magickal workings.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you! Thank you in advance for helping to support Feralwood Farm.
What is the Beaver Moon?
The name Beaver Moon comes from Colonial American and Native American folklore. This is the time of year when beavers begin to prepare for winter, storing food, preparing their dams, and growing thick warm coats. Therefore, it was also an ideal time for trappers to catch beavers for their pelts.
Alternative Names for the Beaver Moon
- Whitefish Moon – Algonquin
- Freezing Moon – Anishinaabe
- Leaf Fall moon – Catawba
- Dark Moon – Celtic
- Hunter Moon – Cherokee
- Trading Moon – Cherokee
- White Moon – Chinese
- Sassafras Moon – Choctaw
- Frost Moon – Cree, Assiniboine
- Deer Rutting Moon – Dakota, Lakota
- Moon when Horns are Broken Off – Dakotah Sioux
- First Snow Moon – Mahican
- Snow Moon – Old English
- Freezing Over Moon – Ojibwe
- Whitefish Moon – Ojibwe
- They Give Thanks Moon – Ojibwe
- Little Winter Moon – Tunica, Seneca
- Digging Moon – Tlingit
Beaver Moon Magickal Workings
As we creep closer towards the Winter Solstice, the darkest day of the year, we see that same symbolism begin here in the month of November and working with the Beaver Moon. This is a time of preparation and rest, as we await the dark cold days of Winter, followed by the burst of productivity in Spring.
- Kitchen Witchery
- Shadow Work
Beaver Moon Correspondences
Colors: Dark Blue, Dark Purple, Dark Green, Gray, White, Black
Crystals: Lapis Lazuli, Turquoise, Topaz
Deities: Bastet, Isis, Kali, Astarte, Hades, Persephone
Herbs: Thistle, Betony, Verbena, Fennel
Trees: Cypress, Alder, Hazel
Beaver Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- What wound have you been ignoring?
- How can you best heal this wound?
- Where is change needed in my life?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Shadow Work Prompts for the Beaver Moon
- What parts of yourself need more attention? Why have you been ignoring them or prioritizing other things instead?
- What is your relationship with yourself? Your mind? Your body? Your thoughts and feelings? Why do you have this view?
- When you hear the word “healing” what comes to mind? Does it evoke certain emotions within you? Why do you think you have this reaction?
More on Moons
Want to learn more about working with the energies of the Moon?
Read all of our moon posts here!
- Hunter’s Moon – October’s Full Moon
- Harvest Moon – September’s Full Moon
- Sturgeon Moon – August’s Full Moon
- Thunder Moon – July’s Full Moon