Learn about the Snow Moon, February’s Full Moon. Learn about the history, alternative names, correspondences, and how to utilize its energy in your magickal workings.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you! Thank you in advance for helping to support Feralwood Farm.
What is the Snow Moon?
The name snow moon comes the Naudowessie (Dakota) people, and was used adopted by the Colonial Americans and is still the predominately used name for the full moon in February to this day. It is named for the heavy snowfall typically seen during this lunar period in a large portion of North America.
Alternative Names for the Snow Moon
- Groundhog Moon – Algonquin
- First Flower Moon – Catawba
- Moon of Ice – Celtic
- Hungry Month – Cherokee
- Boney Moon – Cherokee
- Budding Moon – Chinese
- Little Famine Moon – Choctaw
- Eagle Moon – Cree
- Moon of the Raccoon – Dakotah Sioux
- Moon when Trees Pop – Dakotah Sioux
- Storm Moon – English Medieval
- Goose Moon – Haida
- Deep Snow Moon – Mahican
- Suckerfish Moon – Ojibwe
- Eagle Moon – Ojibwe
- When the Bear Cubs are Born Moon – Ojibwe
- Midwinter Moon – Oneida
- Little Sister of the Waning Moon – Tunica
Snow Moon Magickal Workings
While the snow moon takes place during a period of cold and heavy snowfall, it is actually associated with the element of fire. Think of this period of time as tending to and stoking your internal flame, letting yourself grow and explore in a safe/controlled way.
- Personal Development
- Hearth or Home Workings
- Astral Travel
- Seed Magick/Working with seeds
Snow Moon Correspondences
Colors: Purple, Blue, White, Silver, Pink
Crystals: Rose Quartz, Amethyst, Jasper
Deities: Aphrodite, Brigid, Juno, Mars
Herbs: Hyssop, Sage, Myrrh, Rose
Trees: Rowan, Myrtle
Snow Moon Tarot Spread
Further connect to the energies of this Full Moon with this tarot spread!
- How can I stoke my internal fire?
- What area of my life needs the most growth?
- How can I best set myself up for long-term success?
Try it out for yourself! If you want to share you results feel free to comment below, join our discord server, or use the hashtag #feralwoodcoven on social media!
Shadow Work Prompts for this Moon
- What obstacles are between you and your goals? Are they reflective of yourself, or material things? Why are you letting these things remain as obstacles?
- What is one daily habit that you can start now, that will help you achieve your goals?
- What is a new thing you’ve been wanting to do, and why haven’t you? Why are you afraid of taking new risks?
More on Moons
Want to learn more about working with the energies of the Moon?
Read all of our moon posts here!
- Hunter’s Moon – October’s Full Moon
- Harvest Moon – September’s Full Moon
- Sturgeon Moon – August’s Full Moon
- Thunder Moon – July’s Full Moon